Beverly Hills cosmetic and restorative dentist Dr. Michael Keselbrener believes that excellent home dental care plays an important role in maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile for a lifetime
Excellent personal home care habits include:
- Avoiding frequent sugary snacks
- Having a well-balanced diet
- Correctly using the available dental hygiene aids (toothbrush, floss, etc.) to help control bacterial plaque that causes dental diseases and problems
During your oral oral exams and professional dental cleanings at our office you can receive detailed dental care instruction as well as an introduction to a variety of dental hygiene aids that you can benefit from.
Here are some recommendations you may find helpful in improving your daily dental care skills:
Dr. Keselbrener recommends:
- Using a soft-bristled toothbrush that is more gentle on your teeth and gums
- Keeping your toothbrush at a 45 degree angle to the tooth surface and moving it gently along the gumline in a circular motion, cleaning several teeth at a time
- Brushing the outer, inner, and chewing surfaces of the teeth as well as the front surface of the tongue
- Replacing your toothbrush every 3 months because worn down bristles can become ineffective and can also injure your gums
- Brushing your teeth at least 2 times per day( ideally after each meal) for at least 2 minutes with ADA approved toothpaste
You can also use an electric toothbrush as a very effective, easy, and safe way of removing bacterial plaque.
Flossing is the best way to remove bacterial plaque in between the teeth and under the gumline where your toothbrush cannot reach.
Dr. Keselbrener recommends:
- Using waxed dental floss, which is softer and easier on the gums
- Carefully sliding the floss between your teeth using back-and-forth motions without forcing it
- Curving the floss into a c-shape around each tooth before sliding it up and down
- Rinsing vigorously with water to remove any loosened plaque and food particles
It is very important to vigorously rinse your mouth with water after brushing and flossing and after each meal and snack. Over-the-counter antimicrobial mouth rinses are also available (i.e. Listerine, Scope) that are clinically proven to help fight gum disease and tooth decay. Additionally, there are several prescription mouth rinses available with higher potency including:
- Antibacterial rinses that are clinically proven to kill bacteria and even inhibit its growth and activity
- Fluoride rinses that are proven to remineralize and strengthen the tooth surface, decrease tooth sensitivity, and reduce tooth decay
If you have any questions regarding your home dental care, please contact our office to make an appointment with Dr. Keselbrener or our dental hygienists. Remember that thorough daily dental care and regular professional dental cleanings and dental exams will help you maintain a healthy smile for many years to come and avoid serious and costly dental problems.